How to modify a folding knife.

BigJoe

• Total Posts : 2273
  • Reward points : 10994
How to modify a folding knife. - Thursday, July 02, 2009 5:03 PM ( #1 )
please note this will void your warranty on any folding knife from Cold Steel.

tools and parts required:
two pairs needle nose pliers
dremel or any rotary tool with a cut off wheel
small file or sand paper/ or sharpening stone
adhesive of choice (superglue, locktite, epoxy) that will adhere to metal
tape, for holding knife closed
padding material such as a rag, the tape or paper towel
knife to modify, in  this case a CS Voyager
one pocket clip

Please read several times before atempting this as you can break the screws on the thumb stud.

Prepwork: cut pocket clip at first bend, closest to screw holes
sand/file down sharp corners at cut line on the piece with the screw holes. this will be the piece attached to, hook on the pocket and open the knife.

Step one: Use tape or vice
apply tape around the blade and handel to keep knife closed while working on it. (I have also used a vice with padding material between the blade and jaws of the vice to do this) This must be done as the adhesive/or torque on the thumb stud from the factory makes it very stiff to undo the nut.

Step two: use plier and padding material
with two pairs of pliers put padding material on tips of jaws. lay knife on its side pocket clip up spine of blade away from you and grab the nut on the non clip side of the knife with your left hand/plier angled back past the pivot pin to your left

Step three: use 2nd plier and more padding material
with plier in right hand grab the thumb stud on the clip side of the knife, so that the plierin the right hand is 90 degrees clockwise of the plierin your left hand. Or, angle the plier more towards the the point of the blade.

Step four: Unscrew the nut
the nut is a traditional righthand thread (it screws on clokwise and off couter clockwise) so, rotate your right hand towards the pivot pin and parallel to the blade ( lateral force can break the screws on the 1/2 that stays attached to the blade. If you are not using a vice the blade is edge down point facng away and right hand rotates counter clockwise towards you. Watch your fingers as the nut loosens your hands will smack together.

Step five: set everthing back on the table and remove the thumb stud nut
place the pliers and padding material back on the the table, and unscrew the nut.

Step six: attaching the hooking device
(at this point decideif you wat to reattachte the nut you just removed) if you do not yse epoxy to secure the hook in place (note: you will have dificulty opening the kife in a right handed grip). Alsoyou may need to scuff up the area under the hook on the blade. To scuff up place hook in position and mark outline with permanent pen like a pocket shark. remove hook and sand lightly, you still want the surface flat so do not over do this or the hook will angle towards the center of the spine of the blade.

to reuse the nut take adhesive of choice put a small drop onthe threads of the thumb stud screw, put hooking device in place (you need some adhesive underthe hooking device and on the threads because the hook can loosen up or the nut can andyou loose clamping pressure. ie. the hook flops back and does not hook) and tighten nut finger tight.

Step seven: use pliers and padding material to tighten nut
hold left thumb stud in pliers to keep it from turning, hold right thumb stud nutin pliers and screw in clockwise. Try to usethe same/simmilar ammount of force to tighten as it took to loosen.

Step eight: this part sucks....
clean up any excess adhesive around the thumb stud/ that side of the blade. Wait 24 hours for the adhesive to cure.

Step nine: go play with your modified folding knife

Photoes pelow are some close ups of the 2 knives I currently have that are modified. oneis as described inthe directions, the second uses the tip of the pocket clip and some cutting with a dremel tool +drilling a hole for the thumbstud screw (not a process I recomend without a center punch and vise, as the pocket clipis just hard to drill free hand). the third photo is the clip ona Columbia River M21, and is identical to the clip I used for my knives. The clip I used was bought at a knife shop( if you did not already know most have replacement parts for the brands they carry as authorized dealers.)

This method of modification works on Cold Steel models; Scimitar,  all of the Vaquero line, and all Voyagers. I have seen it done on several other models from other makers also with some moddifications.

Hope you all enjoy.

-Joe
Attached Image(s)
The Gift of Fear and Other Survival Signals That Protect Us From Violence, by Gavin De Becker

Deep Survival, by Laurence Gonzales

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll
  • Submit Vote
  • Post reward post
  • Delete my own posts
  • Delete my own threads
  • Rate post

© 2000-2009 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.4
Copyright © 2008 Cold Steel All rights reserved.