Forum Navigation

my pre-CS 'bushman/boarspear

survivor2

• Total Posts : 419
  • Reward points : 4268
my pre-CS 'bushman/boarspear - Saturday, December 31, 2011 4:10 AM ( #1 )
Here at the end of this year,i took another trip down memory lane.

Enjoy!

My pre- CS ‘Bushman’/ Boar spear → ‘how-to’

[About 25-30 years ago, after my ‘crocodile hunting’ experience as described previously on this forum, Man eater crocodile of Venda -July 2011 [[link=http://coldsteelforums.com/man-eater-crocodile-m149446.aspx]http://coldsteelforums....r-crocodile-m149446.aspx[/link] ], where a homemade spear of mine was used to dispatch this killer crocodile, I became interested to make a practical and versatile bush knife cum spear. ]
" border="0" />

You must remember that during those times [early 1980’s], in my part of the world, most ‘hunting’ knives were junk. As a avid hunter/camper at that time[nowadays it would probably be called ‘survivor living’], I felt in need of a very strong, sturdy sharp pointed ‘tool’ that I can stake my life on in the bush. As I was just recently finished with my compulsory 2 yr army stint by that time, the idea of a modified R1 [FAL 7, 62] bayonet was milling inside my thoughts.
I wanted something bigger and stronger than the standard bayonet of that time, but with some of the same futures, that I could use as a type of chopping panga, thrusting knife, and if needed, as a spear point when hunting and putting warthogs, baboons or other wounded animals out of their misery.

" border="" border="0" />
You must understand that during those times TV, computers and cell phones etc. were a novice, and we ‘entertained’ ourselves in the bush. If you needed something that is really practical for your situation, the chances were good that it will not be available and you must improvise. [See the home made ‘sword’ in the picture!]
For my "bushman’s" blade, I used the thick back spring of an old Toyota Land Cruiser. Man, is that metal tough to grind and file by hand into the desired shape ! It literary took me weeks of sweat and blisters…
The ‘tang’ was about 3 1/2 inches long. These I shoved into a ¾ inch pipe [threaded at one end] and hammered the front end of the pipe handle flat against the tang. On the treaded [back] end of the pipe handle, I screwed a ¾ inch nipple. I then welded this nipple, ‘handle’ and blade solid and smooth this handle over again with a file.
The spear ‘shaft’ ,that could be screwed on and off at will, was made of a ¾ inch 6’ galvanized pipe with a stopper nipple screwed in at the ‘back’ end.

" border=" border="0" />"0" />

With this homemade set up I’ve managed to chop branches and build lots of blinds as well as dispatching many critters in my younger [pre- CS] days!
When I first laid eyes on the CS boar spear many years later, it made sense to me and I immediately bought one. Later on when I saw a CS Bushman, the similarities to my ‘bushman’ appealed to me, especially with the use of the newest techniques in metal and design, so I acquire one of those too.

" border="0" />
Nowadays my home made and crude bush knife/spear is retired, but my trusty CS Bushman and CS Boar spear accompany me on every hunt. All that I can say is that out of my experience, and out of a practical point of view,  ‘great minds think alike’. LOL

" border="0" />

-A happy new year to you all AND stay sharp!    
" border="0" /> 
--Old hands never become lost in the bush, thanks not so much to superior bush craft ,
but to their believe that if you don’t mind being where you are, you aren’t  lost!
--“Paying attention to the expected is probably best for everyday existence.
Noticing the unexpected, though, may save your life.'

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll
  • Submit Vote
  • Post reward post
  • Delete my own posts
  • Delete my own threads
  • Rate post

© 2000-2009 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.4
Copyright © 2008 Cold Steel All rights reserved.