Forum Navigation

allrounder cs knife choice???

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 43 of 43
MARVINf

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 10
Re:allrounder cs knife choice??? - Wednesday, June 05, 2013 3:56 PM ( #31 )
 a few weeks ago   US ARMY   S.E.R.E. school instructors were telling their students   ...   the aus8a  SRK is the best knife one could have in a survival situation.
fox

• Total Posts : 2036
  • Reward points : 8314
Re:allrounder cs knife choice??? - Tuesday, June 11, 2013 5:03 PM ( #32 )
I'll add some new input here.  I have a friend who grew up in Africa until she left to come to the US for college.  She's spent a great deal of time in the bush and in the cities.  Great many stories, from watching people parade down the streets with guns as they tried to overthrow the government, to knowing you were in the wrong part of town by the heads on sticks, to being chased by hippos (apparently she was shooting them with a slingshot because she was board).  This girl has legit Massai spears hanging on her wall (prefers CS by the way).
     Her go to for Africa?  The bushman.  Her daily carry?  Folding bushman.  I think that says a lot.

"The difference is the woods is the only place I can see a clear path".                                                                   Malcolm Reynalds
Mtn Tow

• Total Posts : 870
  • Reward points : 2412
Re:allrounder cs knife choice??? - Wednesday, June 12, 2013 12:07 AM ( #33 )
I've migrated to carrying a hawk/hatchet (depending on what has a handle on it), a machete with saw back (was the ghurka until I lost it), a folding utility/disposable razor combo and a skinning knife. In a couple days, I'm picking up a trail hawk and bushman. Skinning knife SUCKS for camp use because the gut hook is dangerous to work around. Great for its purpose but I'm looking forward to a camp purposed knife.

Was talking to a buddy yesterday, laughing about how much of your gear weight is some kind of cutting implement. I've also come to like packing a bow saw. They are pretty light and absolute beasts of burden. They just take up a lot of space unless you go with a folding one.
"Furor fit læsa sæpius patientia." 
"Fail to plan? Plan to fail."

"This is my rifle, this is my sword. One is for killing and one is for war."

The only thing Cold Steel could improve ... is this forum software! 
Mtn Tow

Re:allrounder cs knife choice??? - Friday, June 14, 2013 12:07 AM ( #34 )
Picked up the bushman and trail hawk.

Bushman is odd however workable. I don't like the handle taper and it is in the size range I usually don't EDC. Smaller or larger would suit me better. I hate the sheath. I got the older model with nylon sheath and pocket, no snap. The knife uses less than 1/2 the sheath..... Will modify as most do with wrap and plugs.

The trail hawk was rather dull but the vendor put a quick convex start to it for me to work with. At first I thought I'd cut the handle but maybe not. Not sure about what mods I'm going to do yet but I've had it in my belt for 2 hrs and forgot it was there about 4x! Funny how the fiskers at 1/2 the size is so .... awkward. 

Nothing like some new steel to send a man to camp smiling! 

Gigmaster

• Total Posts : 292
  • Reward points : 3722
Re:allrounder cs knife choice??? - Friday, June 14, 2013 12:29 AM ( #35 )

I love my Mini Bushman. It's a shame they discontinued them. 

I wrapped the handle. I am also very fond of my Canadian Hunter, and Western Hunter. I have several of both of these models, and one each stays in my kitchen, as well as an extra Bushman. They are great for cutting frozen vegetables, dressing meat, chopping and slicing. In the field, I have found all of them invaluable for almost any chore. I also recently acquired a Pocket Bushman that is fast earning my respect. I have taken to carrying it everyday, along with my Ti-Lite (for EDC). My Voyagers are getting jealous. 

Mtn Tow
  Picked up the bushman and trail hawk. 

Bushman is odd however workable. I don't like the handle taper and it is in the size range I usually don't EDC. Smaller or larger would suit me better. I hate the sheath. I got the older model with nylon sheath and pocket, no snap. The knife uses less than 1/2 the sheath..... Will modify as most do with wrap and plugs.

The trail hawk was rather dull but the vendor put a quick convex start to it for me to work with. At first I thought I'd cut the handle but maybe not. Not sure about what mods I'm going to do yet but I've had it in my belt for 2 hrs and forgot it was there about 4x! Funny how the fiskers at 1/2 the size is so .... awkward. 

Nothing like some new steel to send a man to camp smiling! 

Gigmaster

Re:allrounder cs knife choice??? - Friday, June 14, 2013 1:15 AM ( #36 )
I've always been curious. I read about a lot of people wanting to carry for EDC, which is OK, I guess. But if you stop to think about it, what do most people usually need a knife for? Cutting a seat-belt loose, opening a letter, or a box, cutting tape, trimming a water or air hose on your car's engine, cutting string, poking an extra hole in your belt, using as a steak knife in a restaurant when they fail to provide a suitable model of their own (I do this one a lot...), and other mundane, but necessary tasks. 

Almost any knife, certainly anything by Cold Steel, will serve as a deterrent in an emergency. The idea is to hold someone off, disengage and retreat as soon as possible, not to engage in a West Side Story-esque ballet of cutlery. Especially not at my age. You don't have to win...just survive. Realistically, how often do you think you'd be using a knife in this type of scenario? To me, it makes more sense (if you only carry one knife) to carry a more general-purpose knife to handle all those daily chores, and hope you never have to use it in any other way. 

I put it in the same category as a lot of Rambo wannabes that I know, that insist they need a 30-round magazine and a semi-auto assault-style rifle to go hunting deer. If you want to carry one of these heavy, cumbersome monstrosities, of course, be my guest. But all you really need is a nice, light, sleek hunting rifle that you can comfortable carry all day, and a few rounds of ammo, usually no more than a pocket-full, even with a shotgun.  I only own muzzle-loaders, but when I hunt, I seldom ever take more than 10 rounds, and even with my Colt 1851 and 1861 pistols, no more than 18 rounds. And I have never run out of ammo while hunting, yet.  

I guess my question is, why do people not apply the principle of, "the right tool for the right job", when it comes to firearms and knives?  I love my Ti-Lite, just because it looks intimidating, but as a knife, it's really pretty useless for anything other than a quick slash/stab. I could probably fillet a fish with it in an emergency, but it would be a pathetic-looking fillet. I have tried cutting tomatoes with it, and it makes a really nice mess of them, perfectly suitable for crushed tomatoes. It's sharp enough, but the blade shape, with no off-set, doesn't allow you to make pretty, thin slices. A Bushman does a whole lot better, and the Canadian Hunter does as good as it gets, even better than most expensive chef's knives.. And chopping with the Ti-Lite is next to impossible. The blade shape is not conducive to most normal activities. It will cut string, and open a letter, but that's about it. The Ti-Lite was designed as a Fighting Folder, pure and simple. I carry it mostly for shock-value, if the chips ever fall. 

I've just always been curious as to why a lot of people's first criteria for selecting a carry knife is EDC, rather than functionality. My Marine days have been over for quite a while, and I know I am nowhere near being Rambo. In a knife fight, I doubt seriously if I would prevail regardless of what I am carrying. I would just be happy if I could get a few good licks in before I go down, and I hope my assailant realizes that, and decides it's not worth it. If not, then I would have to beat them senseless with my Blackthorn walking stick (which is never out of arms reach), and I know from experience I can do that, regardless of what kind of knife they have. Never fool with an old man packing a good walking stick. 

OK. I got that out of my system. We will now return to our regular-scheduled programming, already in progress....
Mtn Tow

Re:allrounder cs knife choice??? - Friday, June 14, 2013 3:38 PM ( #37 )

On the EDC, right now im living in a camp where maybe I shouldn't be for legal and preditorial reasons.

I just cleared my camp of my tools for the job. Spear, sword, skinning knife... If something happens now, at worst I lose the bushman, trailhawk and a cheap machete. 

I don't want to carry 3 or 4 blades and so ideally, I have one that performs many tasks and maybe a smaller one that is specialized. Last year it was the ghurka machete but the sheath failed me and I lost it.

I used a torched finish and wrapped the trail hawk handle in a few places. 2x hand grips (high and low) and 2x "ferrules".  I then heated the piece up and melted wax into the wood and wrapping. Also scribbed some cave art on the hawk head. Will be etching it eventually but wanted to experiment for now.

Wrapped the bushman handle as yours is Gig except I then added another small wrap of 8 loops near the blade as a finger stopper. Saw a nice cobra wrap guard on google but it makes the bushman look aggressive so maybe I won't do it. I would like some serrations on it though. My machete has 'em but what if.... :)

Put the hawk to test next to a fiskars hatchet. Hawk is much slower to use but between the looks and comfort, I think it will be my main cutter.

<message edited by Mtn Tow on Friday, June 14, 2013 9:26 PM>

muddog15

• Total Posts : 448
  • Reward points : 4584
Re:allrounder cs knife choice??? - Saturday, June 15, 2013 4:38 AM ( #38 )
i have an SRK and bushman , both blade styles, i would choose the bushman because its more versital. i have bought the bushmans since my last post. i bought 4 of them. i wish i could find a couple of ghe mini bushmans.
Gary

• Total Posts : 3153
  • Reward points : 7296
Re:allrounder cs knife choice??? - Saturday, June 15, 2013 6:34 PM ( #39 )
Mtn Tow, looks very nice.  What did you use for the wrapping?  I intend to wrap mine in rawhide put on wet so it will shrink as it dries.  .  
Sturgeon's Law  "90% of everything is Crap" 

Real heroes don't wear capes, they wear dog tags. 

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin 

Imhoff's Law:
 The organization of any bureaucracy is very much like a septic tank ... the really big chunks always rise to the top.

God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference 

In March of 1953 there were 53 kilobytes of random access memory on planet earth.  Thirty years later my first computer had 64K of RAM

Gigmaster

Re:allrounder cs knife choice??? - Saturday, June 15, 2013 10:05 PM ( #40 )

I love my mini Bushman. It's just the right size and blade style for most daily tasks. The Pocket Bushman is nice as well, but it's not the same. 

I started a poll to try to get CS to bring the Mini back, but so far, no dice.  Mr. Thompson, if you are listening...please, please consider bringing the Mini Bushman back. It was one of your best knifes.

muddog15

i have an SRK and bushman , both blade styles, i would choose the bushman because its more versital. i have bought the bushmans since my last post. i bought 4 of them. i wish i could find a couple of ghe mini bushmans.

Gigmaster

Re:allrounder cs knife choice??? - Saturday, June 15, 2013 10:15 PM ( #41 )

As an aging, inactive US Marine with a lot of boonie-time in hostile environments, I agree that the the SRK is a great knife, but if it was a survival situation, and I could only have one knife, the Bushmans win hands-down. They are way more versatile, tough, and can be sharpened on any flat rock, or piece of leather. The Bowie model, in particular, is outstanding for rough outdoor use, but still delicate enough to dress out a fish. 

In a survival situation, combat would be my last concern. My priorities would be securing water, food, and shelter, in that order, with a healthy dose of, "Get me the hell out of here" (securing help and assistance to return to my unit, or home, or getting rescued...).

MARVINf

a few weeks ago   US ARMY   S.E.R.E. school instructors were telling their students   ...   the aus8a  SRK is the best knife one could have in a survival situation.

Mtn Tow

Re:allrounder cs knife choice??? - Sunday, June 16, 2013 1:00 PM ( #42 )
Thanks Gary! Just some white nylon/cotton (or something) string that I've had a roll of for longer than i can remember. Have wrapped almost all my handles with it. Feels very nice and silky. Once hunting season rolls around, I may redo in leather. The goal was most grip and handle protection so this stuff works for now. It made it a whole day of use before the feather tie let go. Still have the feathers (grouse) but will maybe retie with wire.

survivor2

• Total Posts : 393
  • Reward points : 3720
Re:allrounder cs knife choice??? - Saturday, June 22, 2013 5:16 AM ( #43 )
Spidey

survivor2: Isn't it time you updated us a let us know how it worked for you? Pics for the advises would be nice :P

sorry spidey, i kinda 'forgot ' about this thread...

here are my updates so far for my 
recon scout
boar spear
srk
bushman bowie

http://coldsteelforums.com/Rules-Guidelines-m15.aspx

during the comming september i'm going to put some of them again through their paces out in africa and will upload new photos afterwards

enjoy

" border="0" /> 
--Old hands never become lost in the bush, thanks not so much to superior bush craft ,
but to their believe that if you don’t mind being where you are, you aren’t  lost!
--“Paying attention to the expected is probably best for everyday existence.
Noticing the unexpected, though, may save your life.'

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 43 of 43

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll
  • Submit Vote
  • Post reward post
  • Delete my own posts
  • Delete my own threads
  • Rate post

© 2000-2009 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.4
Copyright © 2008 Cold Steel All rights reserved.