Forum Navigation

all cs bushman fans

survivor2

• Total Posts : 415
  • Reward points : 4126
all cs bushman fans - Friday, October 14, 2011 1:55 AM ( #1 )

all the cs bushman fans across the world

i think cs got it right [again!] and have a little gem here

lets put a little 'resume' together of your versitile cs bushman

i'm very much interested to see what you have done with yours [camping,hiking,hunting,survival ect,ect.....]

add your photo's ect and lets see how much we can put all together [how,when where ect]

here are some [from old threads ] and new photos now all under 'one roof'

http://coldsteelforums.com/Bushman-Bowie-in-action-m158446.aspx

http://www.coldsteelforums.com/cs-bushman-bowie-vs-porcupine-m146774.aspx

http://www.coldsteelforums.com/cs-bushman-field-test-m155089.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FKL6qJUq0k&feature=related 

<message edited by survivor2 on Tuesday, November 01, 2011 6:43 AM>
Attached Image(s)
" border="0" /> 
--Old hands never become lost in the bush, thanks not so much to superior bush craft ,
but to their believe that if you don’t mind being where you are, you aren’t  lost!
--“Paying attention to the expected is probably best for everyday existence.
Noticing the unexpected, though, may save your life.'

canuckbuck

• Total Posts : 303
  • Reward points : 4424
Re:all cs bushman fans - Friday, October 14, 2011 12:41 PM ( #2 )
Just check out my avatar. That was in Costa Rica. Great little mini machete.
Only those are fit to live who do not fear to die. And none are fit to die who have shrunk from the joy and duty of life. Both life and death are parts of the same great adventure."-Theodore Roosevelt.

Recon Scout Carbon V x 2, SRK Carbon V, SRK AUS8,  SRK SMIII, Master Hunter Carbon V, Master Hunter AUS8, Master Hunter SMIII, Trail Hawk x 3, Special Forces Shovel, Clip Mate SM3, Mini Tanto Clip Mate, Scimitar, Bushman, Mini Bushman, Pocket Bushman, Long Hunter, K4 Neck Knife, Finn Bear, Roachbelly, Pendelton Lite,  Mini Pendelton, Kudu, Barong Machete 12" , Sax Machete 12",  
survivor2

• Total Posts : 415
  • Reward points : 4126
Re:all cs bushman fans - Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:41 AM ( #3 )
nice photo chanuckbuck!
some more photos of my cs bushman in action
  • this tool also have skinned an impala and a blue wildebeest
  • dispatched a warthog and porcupine as a spear
  • build numerous blinds as a knife
  • act as a camp knife in preparing food in the bushveld
  • and were used from the southern most tip of africa cleaning fish[cape agulas] to the nothern part of south africa skinning and dressing meat[limpopo]
  • and even in the desert of the middle east- [9000 km futher away] preparing food for a barbeque 
  • after 18 months of use i can still recommend it as my all rounder tool!
  • on these photos it can be seen for comparison against impala and hog scat,
  • also with a cactus and just for fun on an animal skin
Attached Image(s)
canuckbuck

Re:all cs bushman fans - Saturday, October 15, 2011 6:45 PM ( #4 )
They are versatile and easy to sharpen. I also like that the bushman is inexpensive, so should it get siezed by customs, etc it's not a great loss.

Great pics.
Only those are fit to live who do not fear to die. And none are fit to die who have shrunk from the joy and duty of life. Both life and death are parts of the same great adventure."-Theodore Roosevelt.

Recon Scout Carbon V x 2, SRK Carbon V, SRK AUS8,  SRK SMIII, Master Hunter Carbon V, Master Hunter AUS8, Master Hunter SMIII, Trail Hawk x 3, Special Forces Shovel, Clip Mate SM3, Mini Tanto Clip Mate, Scimitar, Bushman, Mini Bushman, Pocket Bushman, Long Hunter, K4 Neck Knife, Finn Bear, Roachbelly, Pendelton Lite,  Mini Pendelton, Kudu, Barong Machete 12" , Sax Machete 12",  
juregolec

• Total Posts : 441
  • Reward points : 4736
Re:all cs bushman fans - Thursday, October 20, 2011 1:19 PM ( #5 )
This is way I adore bushman IT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyvPIv0Aq7g
Attached Image(s)
Only the dead have seen the end of the war
Plato

thecyclops

• Total Posts : 64
  • Reward points : 1020
Re:all cs bushman fans - Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:48 PM ( #6 )
I am on the fence with buying one of these.My question is about the handle,err,lack of a finger guard.Doess this seem to be a BIG problem or a safety risk? I do know how to wrap the handle with paracord,or I have bat/hockey tape,but the thought of using this knife in a combat situation with no finger guard seems unwise...Thoughts?
canuckbuck

Re:all cs bushman fans - Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:56 PM ( #7 )
Well it's a bushman, not a warman. It's a pretty good outdoor/survival knife. Not much stabbing done in outdoor living or bushcraft. I have plenty of scars on my left hand from whittling, but none in my right from sliding up a knife blade.
Would be good as a slasher on it's own, thruster on the end of a stick.
Go for a recon tanto if you want a fighter - or any of the other combat knives in the cold steel line up.

Lemmesee

• Total Posts : 668
  • Reward points : 5932
Re:all cs bushman fans - Thursday, October 20, 2011 9:13 PM ( #8 )
thecyclops

I am on the fence with buying one of these.My question is about the handle,err,lack of a finger guard.Doess this seem to be a BIG problem or a safety risk? I do know how to wrap the handle with paracord,or I have bat/hockey tape,but the thought of using this knife in a combat situation with no finger guard seems unwise...Thoughts?

Don't worry , even though the Bushman is an outdoor knife and not a fighting knife it would come in handy should the need arise ( hopefully that wont happen ) I only did the tape wrap on mine and to get a even better grip I added a small lanyard trough the hole in the handle that is already there , just big enough to slide in my ring finger and pinky , this prevents my hand sliding towards the blade and to get better leverage while chopping , simple , easy solution and works great !

For the price you get a hell of a knife , the SK5 steel is superb ,easy to sharpen and really , really though ! I am loving mine more and more , get one , you wont regret it !!
Attached Image(s)
k8a7j7

• Total Posts : 1327
  • Reward points : 7468
Re:all cs bushman fans - Saturday, October 22, 2011 4:02 PM ( #9 )
thecyclops

If you have warning, suspitions, or think u may need it in a self defence situation u have the advantage of a spear. If not it'll still get u out of trouble
Better to be hated for what you are than loved for what your not
Dtrain

• Total Posts : 58
  • Reward points : 744
Re:all cs bushman fans - Wednesday, December 07, 2011 4:25 PM ( #10 )
When I order my Shovel I shall order a Bushman!
Lemmesee

• Total Posts : 668
  • Reward points : 5932
Re:all cs bushman fans - Wednesday, December 07, 2011 8:52 PM ( #11 )
Dtrain

When I order my Shovel I shall order a Bushman!

You will love both 
So much steel , so little gold !!!

" Because there is nothing proportionate between the armed and the unarmed ; and it is not reasonable that he who is armed should yield obedience to him who is unarmed , or that the unarmed man should be secure among armed men "  

The Prince  
Niccolo Machiavelli

thecyclops

Re:all cs bushman fans - Monday, December 26, 2011 5:56 PM ( #12 )
OK,I finally got my bushman bowie.What is the best thing to use for the shaft when making a spear?I make hiking sticks from time to time from saplings that would work I guess,but I want a more uniform,finished look.Can I use a broom handle or dowel?Or will these be strong enough?
BRASF0311

• Total Posts : 39
  • Reward points : 742
Re:all cs bushman fans - Tuesday, December 27, 2011 9:40 AM ( #13 )

thecyclops,

I have been using a hoe handle that I got at Lowes. It is a little on the heavy side, but it is strong. It has a metal collar that strengthens the point and it fits nicely into the handle of my bushman.

I have thrown mine into dead trees, and my archery target hundreds of times with no ill affect on the handle. I have had to rebend the the blade back straight a couple times, but the bushman is still going strong.

Great knife. Here is a picture of it when I modified it, and another picture of it in my 3 blade survival kit. (Notice the wear on the blade tip)

Luke 22:36 ...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
thecyclops

Re:all cs bushman fans - Tuesday, December 27, 2011 9:47 AM ( #14 )
BRASF0311

thecyclops,

I have been using a hoe handle that I got at Lowes. It is a little on the heavy side, but it is strong. It has a metal collar that strengthens the point and it fits nicely into the handle of my bushman.

I have thrown mine into dead trees, and my archery target hundreds of times with no ill affect on the handle. I have had to rebend the the blade back straight a couple times, but the bushman is still going strong.

Great knife. Here is a picture of it when I modified it, and another picture of it in my 3 blade survival kit. (Notice the wear on the blade tip)

Kool info,thanks.Your bushman looks more gray in those pics,vs black? And what did you do to the sheath to mod?I know that I was TRULY disapointed in the sheath for my bushman bowie,just...well,just garbage.
Avalzaunt

• Total Posts : 386
  • Reward points : 3826
Re:all cs bushman fans - Tuesday, December 27, 2011 8:11 PM ( #15 )
I have an older bushman I picked up some ten years ago and recently tapered a piece of 1" delrin rod to use as a walking stick/long handle for it. Before that I used the last two feet of a shovel handle for some extra reach. My nephew wanted to try it out so I let him abuse it for an hour. He chopped with it, threw it like a spear into some large chunks of firewood, basically abused it until he got tired and all he did was slightly nick the edge near the tip and ram the delrin rod further into the knife handle. A few strokes with a good file fixed the blade and I finally got the rod and knife apart by using a hammer and metal rod to tap the rod out. Normally I drill a hole into the stick to match the hole in the knife handle and screw a eyebolt into it to keep it in place but hadn't yet done that to the delrin rod. This keeps the shaft from spreading the handle out which wasn't that much considering the abuse he put it through. The delrin is impervious to normal abuse but a bit heavy. I think I'll go back to a natural wood for a longer handle for it. I thought about getting an assegai shaft but don't know if I would need to modify it to fit the bushman. The bushman is well worth the money for a working knife that stands up to abuse you wouldn't put your good tanto through.
Ron Dean

• Total Posts : 271
  • Reward points : 3418
Re:all cs bushman fans - Tuesday, December 27, 2011 8:42 PM ( #16 )
My Bushman and Pocket Bushman are my primary camping and hunting tools , this combo always goes with me when I'm going into the bush
Attached Image(s)

BRASF0311

• Total Posts : 39
  • Reward points : 742
Re:all cs bushman fans - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:08 AM ( #17 )
thecyclops,

Here is the link to my modified bushman, and the 3 blade survival kit, with all the info.

http://coldsteelforums.com/Modified-Bushman-m153107.aspx

http://coldsteelforums.com/3-Blade-Survival-Kit-m161884.aspx
Luke 22:36 ...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Gigmaster

• Total Posts : 385
  • Reward points : 4040
Re:all cs bushman fans - Saturday, September 01, 2012 2:19 AM ( #18 )

There is not a big danger of your hand slipping onto the blade, if you hold any knife properly. Your actual grip-strength is with your last three fingers. Wrapping the handle with para-cord assures that there will be no mishaps. You hold a knife with the index finger and thumb circled lightly around the handle. Your actual power is in the palm of your hand, and the last three fingers. The index finger and thumb are for guiding the blade, not gripping it.

The Bushman may possibly be the finest all-around outdoor knife ever manufactured. You cannot go wrong buying one.

thecyclops

Gigmaster

• Total Posts : 385
  • Reward points : 4040
Re:all cs bushman fans - Saturday, September 01, 2012 2:22 AM ( #19 )

Order a Cold Steel hickory spear shaft.

"OK,I finally got my bushman bowie.What is the best thing to use for the shaft when making a spear?I make hiking sticks from time to time from saplings that would work I guess,but I want a more uniform,finished look.Can I use a broom handle or dowel?Or will these be strong enough?"

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll
  • Submit Vote
  • Post reward post
  • Delete my own posts
  • Delete my own threads
  • Rate post

© 2000-2009 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.4
Copyright © 2008 Cold Steel All rights reserved.