Forum Navigation

Field testing my new Trail Hawk !

Lemmesee

• Total Posts : 688
  • Reward points : 6696
Field testing my new Trail Hawk ! - Sunday, October 02, 2011 5:51 PM ( #1 )
I got the trail Hawk a couple weeks ago but it was until this weekend that really got the chance to try it and this are my impressions :

The first thing that caught my attention is how small and light it is , it weights less than my SF shovel and got a little concerned about its capacity at processing wood , but when you start using it you get a nice surprise ; the long handle gives it good momentum and it bites deep in the wood , although since the blade is on the thin side it can get stuck pretty easily on thick logs , better to use it on smaller branches , I tried to use it to make feather sticks and it works ok , but you get better results with a smaller , sharper blade ( my Pendleton Lite can't be beaten !) 

The hammer face came handy when I cut some branches , sharpened one end and drove them on the ground on my first unsuccessful attempt to make a makeshift shelter , but the small hammer makes it hard to hit the small branch top , and the Trail Hawk is too light to be an effective hammer , going for broke I attacked a four inch thick log and to my surprise it took two minutes tops , on my inexperienced hands , to cut trough and against better judgement proceeded to split it ; the first blow got the hawk firmly stuck on the log , lifting both hawk and log the second blow drove it deeper and about the fourth ( or the fifth ?) blow it went trough !

From there the work went a lot easier , the hawk splitting the increasingly smaller pieces of wood in a breeze  

Overall I believe the tool choice will depend on how much wood you need to process , to be honest at this point my Pendleton Lite covers my needs at the moment , when I get ready to do real camping my choice will be the Trail Hawk for ease of use and small weight/size and not until I get to do serious winter camping (who knows how many years will take to get there  ) will need my Trail Boss , but it is nice to know I am covered that far into the future 
Attached Image(s)
Saralach

• Total Posts : 534
  • Reward points : 2352
Re:Field testing my new Trail Hawk ! - Sunday, October 02, 2011 7:10 PM ( #2 )
Nice review. Think I will get one after all. Looks like you're getting the hang of being an outdoorsman too. That's great!  A little tip on the axe getting stuck in bigger logs: If you use another log or something as a hammer you can turn the hawk into a mini-maul (which is basically a wedge on a stick).
"Mastery is the final form of madness." - Saralach
Lemmesee

Re:Field testing my new Trail Hawk ! - Monday, October 03, 2011 9:22 PM ( #3 )
Saralach

Nice review. Think I will get one after all. Looks like you're getting the hang of being an outdoorsman too. That's great!  A little tip on the axe getting stuck in bigger logs: If you use another log or something as a hammer you can turn the hawk into a mini-maul (which is basically a wedge on a stick).

Nice tip Saralach , basically batoning with the hawk ? the wedge shaped hawk would work nicely , never though of that , pretty much just kinda used brute force for my first split 
Vegemite

• Total Posts : 607
  • Reward points : 6314
Re:Field testing my new Trail Hawk ! - Monday, October 03, 2011 11:06 PM ( #4 )
Nice report.  If you put a knife like edge (~30°), then it will carve feather sticks like a knife.  It's good to get the tool dirty.
Simple things are best. 

Current CS gear (I'm a 1055 connoisseur): True Flight Thrower, 18" and 12" Barong Machetes, Special Forces Shovel, Frontier Hawk 90FH
canuckbuck

• Total Posts : 303
  • Reward points : 4424
Re:Field testing my new Trail Hawk ! - Thursday, October 06, 2011 12:53 PM ( #5 )
I reprofiled the edge on my trail hawk and it bit deeper and carved better. Partner it up with a 3-4" knife and maybe a folding saw and you have a versatile lightweight wood processing kit.
Only those are fit to live who do not fear to die. And none are fit to die who have shrunk from the joy and duty of life. Both life and death are parts of the same great adventure."-Theodore Roosevelt.

Recon Scout Carbon V x 2, SRK Carbon V, SRK AUS8,  SRK SMIII, Master Hunter Carbon V, Master Hunter AUS8, Master Hunter SMIII, Trail Hawk x 3, Special Forces Shovel, Clip Mate SM3, Mini Tanto Clip Mate, Scimitar, Bushman, Mini Bushman, Pocket Bushman, Long Hunter, K4 Neck Knife, Finn Bear, Roachbelly, Pendelton Lite,  Mini Pendelton, Kudu, Barong Machete 12" , Sax Machete 12",  
Lemmesee

Re:Field testing my new Trail Hawk ! - Friday, October 07, 2011 7:32 PM ( #6 )
canuckbuck

I reprofiled the edge on my trail hawk and it bit deeper and carved better. Partner it up with a 3-4" knife and maybe a folding saw and you have a versatile lightweight wood processing kit.

I will start working on the edge , and  already carry a 3" blade , you are right its a good , light combination ; what folding saw would you recommend ? would like to get one but have no clue as what to get or what to look for , any input is welcomed !

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll
  • Submit Vote
  • Post reward post
  • Delete my own posts
  • Delete my own threads
  • Rate post

© 2000-2009 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.4
Copyright © 2008 Cold Steel All rights reserved.