Forum Navigation

Camping in upstate New York; what defensive weapons are allowed?

MM60

• Total Posts : 576
  • Reward points : 5686
Camping in upstate New York; what defensive weapons are allowed? - Monday, August 01, 2011 10:35 PM ( #1 )
If somebody was to go camping in the wilderness in upstate New York, what defensive weapons would they be able to bring with them? So far I believe I have determined that a rifle or shotgun would be legal to carry as long as it doesn't violate New York's assault weapons ban, but Cold Steel Inferno would not be legal because it contains too high a percentage of capsaicinoids and because the canisters with practical effective ranges are above New York's .75oz legal limit. Handguns are definitely illegal for virtually all non-residents. Can anybody confirm that long guns are indeed legal to bring along? What else would be legal to bring? Thanks!

"Verily, thou art not paid for thy methods, but for thy results, by which meaneth thou shalt kill thine enemy by any means available before he killeth you."  ~Richard Marcinko

Newest addition: 2011 Voyager XL Plain Clip
Favorites: Recon Scout SMIII, Recon Tanto Carbon V, SRK Carbon V, Trail Master SMIII, True Flight Thrower

For custom Kydex, DuraCoating and more visit www.MattMannUSA.com!
Spidey

• Total Posts : 807
  • Reward points : 4616
Re:Camping in upstate New York; what defensive weapons are allowed? - Tuesday, August 02, 2011 2:45 PM ( #2 )
Mhh a letter opener?

Seriously though, not sure about firearms in NY but I'm sure you can look it up.

Gary

• Total Posts : 3403
  • Reward points : 8008
Re:Camping in upstate New York; what defensive weapons are allowed? - Tuesday, August 02, 2011 5:00 PM ( #3 )
Is Bear spray legal there since it's not intended for use on people.  And there -could- be some bears around. 

73  Gary

fox

• Total Posts : 2036
  • Reward points : 8314
Re:Camping in upstate New York; what defensive weapons are allowed? - Tuesday, August 02, 2011 6:11 PM ( #4 )
I grew up in NY and still camp there regularly.  Getting ready to take a group of high schoolers out in just two weeks for a wilderness trip.
     In general NY is rather gun strict.  You can get a concealed carry permit and if so carry a pistol concealed.  If you are from out of state no such luck.

Long guns are permitted but frowned on for out of state people.  If you have one and no I.D. get ready to take a ride with the friendly officer / ranger.  If you have one and I.D. don't expect them to be all that friendly.  If you have one and are shooting it you BETTER have a hunting license and / or a very good back stop.  If you are firing one without at least one of the two above get ready to test the state facilities.  You will probably get out with no real problem but getting the firearm back will probably not happen.  From my knowledge of the law it boils down to, long gun legal but frowned upon.  If I remember there may also be some laws about transporting it, especially across state lines.
    By the way don't mess with the rangers.  They are generally great guys and very nice but VERY on edge and used to dealing with idiots.  They expect the worst of everyone and if they see ANYTHING they don't like they get grumpy.  I've had them get grumpy over the way my ax was stored with my firewood.  They are armed and authorized with a lot more power than you would think.
     I personally don't cary a firearm when camping in upstate NY.  Yes, there are bear (I've seen them) but they don't really like people and tend to leave anyplace where people are making noise.

I know there are bear sprays that are allowed in NY but I'm not sure if they all are or where the law falls on that one.

"The difference is the woods is the only place I can see a clear path".                                                                   Malcolm Reynalds
azrael

• Total Posts : 2389
  • Reward points : 6108
Re:Camping in upstate New York; what defensive weapons are allowed? - Tuesday, August 02, 2011 6:28 PM ( #5 )
walking stick, cane, spear staff (without the spear head) etc......

i can't see how they could be illegual, if you use it as a help for walking.
"freedom is to be able to choose the way your life will go." 
I AM WARMONGER AS  WE ARE MANY 

"we stopped to look for monster under our bed the day we realized that they are inside of us" 

MM60

Re:Camping in upstate New York; what defensive weapons are allowed? - Friday, August 12, 2011 4:13 PM ( #6 )
My wife and I got back from upstate NY yesterday afternoon. Before we left, I called the NY state police and they told me that any long-gun would be fine to bring along. I brought a Mossberg 590 with a Butler Creek folding stock and kept it in a small nylon rifle case within a Baja waterproof bag on the bow of my kayak for most of the trip. I only took it out several times - when I ventured off into the woods for up to 1000m - and I never ran into anybody, so no problems. The 40+ rounds of slugs and buckshot did add some weight to my loadout though.

Incase anybody is wondering, the Adirondacks must be the most over-used outdoor area I've ever seen. We went to the most remote place I could find in the entire Adirondack Park and kayaked/portaged (5 times) for more than 3 miles beyond anywhere accessible by motorboat or car, and there were groups canoeing, kayaking and camping on every single pond and lake we went to. There was no remoteness or seclusion whatsoever. It was fortunate that we had arrived in the Adirondacks on Sunday evening, because the only tackle shop within 50 miles was closed and I was unable to waste $35 on a 7-day non-resident fishing license (which would have been a waste because the largest fish we saw on our entire trip were 4" bluegills and everybody we talked to who had been fishing had caught nothing). After deciding to head home early, we kayaked back to our vehicle and drove for several hours through much of the park. All of the interesting features such as waterfalls, caves, natural towers and bridges, etc required a fee to see, and they were all closed for the day. We were unable to find any free campsites anywhere; each state park was packed with RV's and wanted $20 per night to camp in a 20'-wide campsite between them, and almost every motel, hotel and lodge was full. We kept driving until we eventually exited the park, and we continued driving until we got to Utica. There was a Red Roof Inn, a Super 8 Motel, a Scottish Inn and a Budget Hotel. The Red Roof Inn and Budget Hotel were completely full, and the Super 8 Motel and Scottish Inn each had one room left. The Super 8 wanted an un-super $90 for one night, so we took the last room at the Scottish Inn for $65 and headed home the next day. Before we got back onto the highway, we had to stop at a grocery store to buy a gallon of water to fill our Nalgene bottles with because the water at the hotel was brown (including the water they had been using to make coffee at the breakfast bar - which consisted of coffee, bread, jelly packets, and two old toasters).

To end on a positive note, during the kayaking portion of our trip, I put my Trail Hawk, Recon Scout, X2 Voyager and Sawvivor to good use, and my wife got some use out of her Gerber saw and Benchmade Nimravus. We got to our third campsite at night during a rain storm, and I used the Recon Scout to baton a bunch of soggy birch to get to the dry centers and then make a bunch of paper-thin shavings, and we got a fire going. Also, once we crossed back over to Pennsylvania on the way home, we saw a Gander Mountain from the highway and stopped to check out a variety of hiking gear, kayak accessories and firearms. I bought some pretty cool coyote brown "S-biners" made by Niteize and I'd definitely recommend them for securing any sort of accessories about your person. I put one on my keys, my cell phone and my wallet.

"Verily, thou art not paid for thy methods, but for thy results, by which meaneth thou shalt kill thine enemy by any means available before he killeth you."  ~Richard Marcinko

Favorites: Recon Scout SMIII, Recon Tanto Carbon V, SRK Carbon V, Trail Master SMIII, True Flight Thrower

azrael

• Total Posts : 2389
  • Reward points : 6108
Re:Camping in upstate New York; what defensive weapons are allowed? - Sunday, August 14, 2011 2:29 PM ( #7 )
  for the next time, something you could take

a mossberg 500 marine, made of stainless with a transport tube that could also carry ammo safely (it 100 % waterproof) and also include a handy multi tools and a folding knife (wich could be replace by a CS folder off course)
"freedom is to be able to choose the way your life will go." 
I AM WARMONGER AS  WE ARE MANY 

"we stopped to look for monster under our bed the day we realized that they are inside of us" 

fox

• Total Posts : 2036
  • Reward points : 8314
Re:Camping in upstate New York; what defensive weapons are allowed? - Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:08 AM ( #8 )
I just got back from leading a wilderness trip in NY last night.  It IS OVER USED.  The rangers are becoming jerks, understandable since they are trying to keep up with millions of idiots who don't know how to take care of the land and they are way over worked.  There are free camp areas that are "remote" but you either have to really know where they are or get there at an odd time.  Otherwise they will be full and you'll be out of luck.  You can't escape people up there any more.
     20+ years ago when I started camping in the Adirondacks my father would take me to places you wouldn't see a person for a week.  Now you bump into someone no matter where you go.  You're almost better off saving up the money and heading out west but lets be honest that will be the next place to go.  Maybe I should just move back to Alaska.

"The difference is the woods is the only place I can see a clear path".                                                                   Malcolm Reynalds
MM60

Re:Camping in upstate New York; what defensive weapons are allowed? - Wednesday, August 24, 2011 10:26 PM ( #9 )
azrael

for the next time, something you could take

a mossberg 500 marine, made of stainless with a transport tube that could also carry ammo safely (it 100 % waterproof) and also include a handy multi tools and a folding knife (wich could be replace by a CS folder off course)

I actually have a very slim waterproof long-gun case that I could have put my shotgun in for the trip, but I wanted the case to be open the whole time so I could quickly pull it out if I needed to - so I just brought a regular fabric case and left it open in an open Baja bag to guard against splashes. My 590 actually is a Mariner version, but none of Mossberg's mariners are stainless; they just have a Marinecote (nickel electroplate I believe) - which is better than being blued, but not as good as being stainless. Mine is DuraCoated though, so at least the exterior should be fairly rust resistant. I like the 590 better than the 500 because it holds up to 3 more rounds. I also prefer the BC pistol-gripped folding stock over the factory pistol grip. I already had my X2 voyager in my pocket during the entire trip, and I keep a Gerber Multi-tool in a pocket of the life vest. Mossberg's JIC kit looks to me like it would be best to keep on a life raft or in a seaplane, but thanks for the idea anyway!

Maine1

• Total Posts : 119
  • Reward points : 3554
Re:Camping in upstate New York; what defensive weapons are allowed? - Thursday, October 06, 2011 5:06 PM ( #10 )
self-defense is LEGAL in NY? Who knew?!!

I went for a seminar last year, and stripped the weapons from the truck, taking only a couple of bowie knives and an axe. I was ok, but felt stupid spending money in a state where i was not "allowed" proper arms. I'd not bring an arsenal, but i go nowhere without a handgun if i have anything to say about it.

but bowie knives are a pretty good comfort, too!
akula83

• Total Posts : 75
  • Reward points : 1896
Re:Camping in upstate New York; what defensive weapons are allowed? - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 6:50 PM ( #11 )
If just camping, I always have my 6 D cell Maglite that has a aftermarket strike bezel, My Surefires are what I use for illumination. I have always made it a point to be friendly and polite to others in the outdoors and have noticed that it ALWAYS gets peoples attention  right from the get go. The only other item that got the same result, was a CS Recon Tanto strapped on my belt when I would be far off the beaten track in Washington State. I never even used it.
milsurpgeek

• Total Posts : 1225
  • Reward points : 6576
Re:Camping in upstate New York; what defensive weapons are allowed? - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 3:23 PM ( #12 )
Have you tried googling the NY revised code of police? While I may not know alot about the NY gun laws safest bet in my opinion would be a single or double barrel 12. Not to many states have a problem with them just watch out for a CCW or an equally bad carry violation.

http://en.wikipedia.org..._%28by_state%29#New_York

“Cruel leaders are replaced only to have new leaders turn cruel!”- Che guevara guerilla leader
 “Generally speaking, the Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death”- Miyamoto musashi master swordsman A weapon isn't good or bad, depends on the person who uses it.- Jet li
A friend is nothing but a known enemy.- Kurt cobain
I have plans that require additional gribbles.-Dale gribble.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll
  • Submit Vote
  • Post reward post
  • Delete my own posts
  • Delete my own threads
  • Rate post

© 2000-2009 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.4
Copyright © 2008 Cold Steel All rights reserved.