Forum Navigation

Maxpedition Monsoon Gearslinger bag; Review will be forthcoming.

BigJoe

• Total Posts : 2280
  • Reward points : 11310
Maxpedition Monsoon Gearslinger bag; Review will be forthcoming. - Saturday, June 18, 2011 7:30 AM ( #1 )
Hey guys,
I ordered a Monsoon Gearslinger bag. I do not recall any one here saying they had one so I will give a review of it when it arrives.

For me it will be a EDC/ keep in the car bag. The Blackhawk 3-Day bag I have been using is just too big, it keeps getting all manner of extra stuff shoved in it.
The Gift of Fear and Other Survival Signals That Protect Us From Violence, by Gavin De Becker

Deep Survival, by Laurence Gonzales
grindermcgee

• Total Posts : 2935
  • Reward points : 13210
Re:Maxpedition Monsoon Gearslinger bag; Review will be forthcoming. - Saturday, June 18, 2011 7:34 AM ( #2 )
I'm not a fan of larger sling bags myself. Pulls on my neck too much. I have a 5.11 similar to the gearslinger that has been working well though.
muddog15

• Total Posts : 458
  • Reward points : 4994
Re:Maxpedition Monsoon Gearslinger bag; Review will be forthcoming. - Saturday, June 18, 2011 9:30 AM ( #3 )
I have one of these for sale, I also have a Jumbo versipack and a Fatboy I'd like to sell. I don't like my Monsoon very much and have replaced it with a Maxpedition Vulture 2. The single strap on the Monsoon is not very comfortable to wear with a load. I would much rather have two shoulder straps.   
buffalo

• Total Posts : 255
  • Reward points : 2850
Re:Maxpedition Monsoon Gearslinger bag; Review will be forthcoming. - Saturday, June 18, 2011 10:36 AM ( #4 )

I would much rather have two shoulder straps

Agree the single strap does get very uncomfortable to carry with a load for any length of time. My day pack I call it ,just a sm back pack w/2 straps and a handle is starting to get more in it than I intended.
Silence is the ultimate weapon of power
BigJoe

Re:Maxpedition Monsoon Gearslinger bag; Review will be forthcoming. - Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:46 PM ( #5 )
Thanks for all the positive feedback.

I currently have only backpacks (2 straps, and big, as in I have this unconscious drive to fill the available space with crap I do not need). Also one original version Versipack (too small for me to fit much in it). Love the single strap of the Versipack or a fabric briefcase (carried one for most of my college years.)

The Monsoon bag looks like it will carry the few core/emergency items I want, with a bit left over for a field guide or two on tracking and plant identification.
The Gift of Fear and Other Survival Signals That Protect Us From Violence, by Gavin De Becker

chabochi

• Total Posts : 871
  • Reward points : 1230
Re:Maxpedition Monsoon Gearslinger bag; Review will be forthcoming. - Sunday, June 19, 2011 3:10 PM ( #6 )
I like Maxpedition's durability. i have a lumbar pack from them. And it is a really good pack. i wish it was bigger because I like a lumbar pack to be as big as a small backpack.
Gunstock War Club; Magnum Kukri Machete; Kukri Machete; G-10 series Espada XL; Scimitar folder; 18" Kopis machete; 2 SRKs CarbonV; Recon Scout CarbonV; Ghurka Kukri SK5; 2 Vietnam Tomahawks; Trench Hawk; True Flight Thrower; Bowie Bushman fixed on a oak pole; Roach Belly; 2 Rajah IITiLite VI; Kudu; OSS CarbonV "Fighting on the internet is like the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"
BigJoe

Re:Maxpedition Monsoon Gearslinger bag; Review will be forthcoming. - Monday, June 27, 2011 5:03 PM ( #7 )
Well..
The pack arrived Saturday. I am having a bit of a collateral issue with the OS on my computer and it not wanting to work with my printer to print the return label for the bag. Yep it is being returned.

Cons:
Overall, the bag is not set up how I would like to see it. The pad of molle webbing that extends over your shoulder grinds into my neck (just a 2" wide strap with removable shoulder pad would have worked much better in my opinion).

The concealed pocket is on the wrong side of the bag and ends up with the opening pointing straight down if the bag is moved around to the front to get to gear. 2 strips of velcro inside, I thought I read it was lined with the loop half of the hook and loop/velcro. This brings up other issues discussed below.

Pro:
Great size with a few attachment points on and around the main compartment. It has some smaller internal pockets that seemed a great size for the little stuff and mesh on a few to see what is inside some other pockets.

FYI, The pistol holster and mag holder (bough separately, though made by Maxpedition) in my opinion suck.

The holster: is a universal fit mounting plate with velcro backing and adjustable velcro strap. It has no way to retain the pistol (like a thumb break retention strap). I see no way for it to securely keep the trigger covered as my pistols all fell right out of it during testing Glock, S&W and  Ruger,. I am looking to carry a .22LR pistol for small game hunting, not a trip to the ER due to a poor gear design and Negligent Discharge.

The mag holder: Elastic loop on a similar type of velcro backed mounting plate. Again no positive retention to keep extra magazines from moving around. I needs some type of bottom stop to keep the magazines from sliding all the way down to the floor plate or dropping out all together if the holder ever became inverted. You could theoretically mount the mag holder so the zippered opening would act as a stop when the concealed carry pocket is closed, unfortunately the pocket is upside down for how I would most easily access a firearm from the bag (as a pocket on the chest vs an akward behind the back grab).

Go look at one before you buy it, had I done this I would not be out money for returning it.

DBR

• Total Posts : 38
  • Reward points : 58
Re:Maxpedition Monsoon Gearslinger bag; Review will be forthcoming. - Friday, July 01, 2011 4:05 PM ( #8 )
muddog15

I have one of these for sale, I also have a Jumbo versipack and a Fatboy I'd like to sell. I don't like my Monsoon very much and have replaced it with a Maxpedition Vulture 2. The single strap on the Monsoon is not very comfortable to wear with a load. I would much rather have two shoulder straps.   

What color is your Fatboy Jumbo and your regular Fatboy? You can shoot me a Private Message, I might be interested in one or both of them.
Loki1

• Total Posts : 2609
  • Reward points : 14962
Re:Maxpedition Monsoon Gearslinger bag; Review will be forthcoming. - Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:27 AM ( #9 )
Really 24 windows? Get a life
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll
  • Submit Vote
  • Post reward post
  • Delete my own posts
  • Delete my own threads
  • Rate post

© 2000-2009 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.4
Copyright © 2008 Cold Steel All rights reserved.