Forum Navigation

Bamboo dart?

Hollotoxin.625

• Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 26
Bamboo dart? - Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:23 PM ( #1 )
Anyone here w/ extensive bamboo dart experience?
Hollotoxin.625

Re:Bamboo dart? - Friday, October 22, 2010 9:52 AM ( #2 )
Judging from Cold Steel video #3 the Mini-Broadhead penetrates much better than bamboo which makes me wonder how sharp the bamboo darts are new from CS?  I also wonder how much flatter the bamboo darts shoot & just how much longer of an effective range?
Hollotoxin.625

Re:Bamboo dart? - Friday, October 22, 2010 10:22 AM ( #3 )
I've often thought of the same thing.  Its similair to an AR-15 rifle which shoots a 55gr load VS. an AK-47 which usually shoots a 150gr load.  The AK is gonna hit w/ much more force but the bullet also travels slower w/ less flat trajectory and does not have anywhere near the effective range of an AR-15.  

Also if poison is used the bamboo being porous will allow much more poison to remain on the dart once it penetrates the game than the steel shaft, unless some type of tape is used which will negatively effect the accuracy of the dart.l
yfn667

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 22
Re:Bamboo dart? - Monday, October 25, 2010 7:16 AM ( #4 )
Ive had my blowgun for one year now. My opinion on the bamboo dart is. For target shooting they are good. They are slim shafted so for hunting small birds it will be fine. Anything bigger. Not as good. They dont penetrate as well as other darts. But they shoot long distances easily.
Hollotoxin.625

Re:Bamboo dart? - Monday, October 25, 2010 3:47 PM ( #5 )
Thats it right there, for distance (bamboo), for penetration (steel).  Too bad CS doesn't make a bamboo w/ a carved broadhead.
BigJoe

• Total Posts : 2273
  • Reward points : 10994
Re:Bamboo dart? - Monday, October 25, 2010 4:15 PM ( #6 )
Hollotoxin.625

Too bad CS doesn't make a bamboo w/ a carved broadhead.

You could try making you own from bamboo chop sticks sold at the grocery store or save some from eating at a Asian restaurant. Carve with a knife like the Bird & Trout.
The Gift of Fear and Other Survival Signals That Protect Us From Violence, by Gavin De Becker

Deep Survival, by Laurence Gonzales
Cleankill47

• Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points : 32
Re:Bamboo dart? - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:49 PM ( #7 )
Love the Bamboo darts. I've had my 5ft blowgun for about 5 years now, and they work great.

I do some preparation for my bamboo darts though. I fireharden the first inch and a half of the tip of the dart, then I smooth out the wood by shaving it with a small knife held at a 90-degree angle to the dart. Same technique Natives all over the world use, and it works.

The darts work great on doves, starlings, crows, and most other birds of a similar size.

As for better penetration, the only thing I can think of to make the bamboo darts hit harder for squirrel- and rabbit-sized animals is to get the 2-foot extension to get more air behind them. The extension would give you a greater range for birds and such as well.

Don't forget moles, voles, mice, rats, grouse, quail, frogs, and snakes! There's plenty of critters you can get with a blowgun!
Somewhere among all my knives is the rest of my kit...
Equipment

• Total Posts : 596
  • Reward points : 1964
Re:Bamboo dart? - Monday, December 06, 2010 3:40 PM ( #8 )
Have had a C.S. blow gun for several years now and have shot everything that will fit down the barrel. The bamboo is ok for birds but really work best for practice. The best dart i have used for birds is a section of clothes hanger with attached cone these will penetrate a hollow core like its not even there and can be cut to the length you want(great for pinning the wings). For hardening the tips of the bamboo I use a thin coat of epoxy. The best part about bg darts is that they are easy and cheap to make use note cards for cones and start adding tips. Stun darts are a personal fav. 
muddog15

• Total Posts : 456
  • Reward points : 4870
Re:Bamboo dart? - Sunday, December 19, 2010 5:22 PM ( #9 )
My first impressions,,, I just got my new 5ft pro CS blowgun this last Thurs. I have shot the bamboo darts and the broad head darts this last weekend a lot. I shot into an old tree stump W/ a 2 inch thick home made foam rubber target. I really like the bamboo darts, they don't hold a lot of long range speed or power however, at ten yards they were penetrating all the way through the foam rubber targets and into the tree stump enough that it was very hard to pull them out. They were very accurate, I'll increase my range next week end.The broad head darts were terrible, although I got better after shooting for a little while. My groups were still worse than with the bamboo. I love this blow gun, and would recommend it to any body that thinks they want one.    
muddog15

Re:Bamboo dart? - Sunday, December 19, 2010 5:58 PM ( #10 )
My first impressions,,, I just got my new 5ft pro CS blowgun this last Thurs. I have shot the bamboo darts and the broad head darts this last weekend a lot. I shot into an old tree stump W/ a 2 inch thick home made foam rubber target. I really like the bamboo darts, they don't hold a lot of long range speed or power however, at ten yards they were penetrating all the way through the foam rubber targets and into the tree stump enough that it was very hard to pull them out. They were very accurate, I'll increase my range next week end.The broad head darts were terrible, although I got better after shooting for a little while. My groups were still worse than with the bamboo. I love this blow gun, and would recommend it to any body that thinks they want one.    
muddog15

Re:Bamboo dart? - Sunday, December 19, 2010 5:58 PM ( #11 )
muddog15

Re:Bamboo dart? - Sunday, January 09, 2011 2:28 PM ( #12 )
I finally had time today to shoot the mini broad head darts, I was shooting from about 15 yards max, I varied my range, I was getting good groups but they seem to drop at any range quit a bit. Other posters have mentioned that the bamboo darts are not that great because of there weight and lack of downrange penetration. I dont understand this because for hundreds of years primitive man used wood darts to kill anything up to a medium size dog although with poisen. I'm wondering if the bamboo or wood darts would be a better choice for a everything use dart. It seems to me after shooting the mini broad heads that there effective range is more limited than the bamboo darts because of there increased weight. Any body open for discussion, I'm really trying to learn something and decide if I should buy more of both or just one or the the other, or even just start making my own, out of wire clothes hangers and 1/8th hard wood dowl rods. Would something like a dart made out of a wire clothes hangar be lighter than the mini broad head darts and more effective, I'll have to try it. Thanks, for any advise. I guess what I'm thinking is a metal dart of some kind with the flight characteristics of bamboo but with the same effectiveness of a metal dart. Is there any such a thing?           
jsquared

• Total Posts : 757
  • Reward points : 4264
Re:Bamboo dart? - Monday, January 10, 2011 11:44 AM ( #13 )
The Bamboo darts come about as sharp as a pencil form the pencil sharpener. For fun I've tried making them sharper when the ends have become blunted, but have not gotten them any sharper. You can harden them a little by fire hardening or dipping them in epoxy.

muddog, the mini broadhead darts are simply pressed into shape. I take mine and sharpen the broad head first with a small ignition file, and then on a sharpening stone. Shooting into thick foam, the sharpened mini broadheads always go a significant amount deeper.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll
  • Submit Vote
  • Post reward post
  • Delete my own posts
  • Delete my own threads
  • Rate post

© 2000-2009 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.4
Copyright © 2008 Cold Steel All rights reserved.